Ready-to-use-mix really brings a lot of convenience to home cooking and adds flavour to a meal without having to prepare a lot of ingredients as most essential sauces and spices are already well blended into the formula.
Although it is not the 'real' thing, I came to appreciate this quick and easy way of cooking as it saves time and energy during a normal weekday. Sometimes, after a day at work you just don't feel like dining out or takeaways, yet too tired to prepare ingredients for a full meal. These mixes in packets, cans or jars would come in handy.
Well, I guess a pseudo wholesome home-cook meal is okay once in a while. Taste-wise, not bad at all.
*variation from instructions written on the yam rice mix
- 1 and 1/2 cup of rice (wash and drain)
- 100 gm of yam (cut into small cubes)
- 6 pieces of dried shitake mushroom (soaked and diced)
- 1 stick of chinese sausage (diced, can add in or substitute with chicken or pork)
- 1/2 jar of yam rice mix (CHNG Kee's)
- Fry the yam, mushroom and chinese sausage until yam is slightly soft.
- Add rice and yam rice mix and stir fry thoroughly.
- Once ingredients are mixed, transfer to rice cooker.
- Add water till water level just cover the ingredients.
- Once cooker indicates rice is cooked, stir the rice thoroughly again and cover for while.
- Garnish with some pasley or lettuce before serving.