How time flies, couldn't believe that it's already end of October! Been really slacked this month, partly because I was feeling blue, and to make things worse, dear son was sick for one full week! It was a terrible week for hubby and I for dear son's fever was quite high and persisted day and night for 5-6 days. We returned home from a Bintan weekend getaway and he developed a high fever. The PD diagnosed his condition as stomach flu virus and assured us that he would get well in 4 days. However, the fever persisted and we had to go to KKH for blood test in case of any bacterial infection. Thankfully, the blood tests indicated a viral infection rather than bacterial, and he got better. *Phew*.
Hadn't been baking much, except for a batch of blueberry muffins (specially for dear son to entice him to eat) and I really missed baking! I have a whole list of to-bakes and it just gets longer each day as I browsed through other bloggers' recipes and pictures on FB. *sigh* but I simply couldn't muster the energy. 心有余而力不足!
And finally the night before, I just had the urge to bake. That was despite the fact that I had a weary day at work and reached home late after dining out, grocery shopping and food preparation for next day's dinner. Decided to bake a simple Cheese & Dill muffin to use up the grated cheese, Greek yogurt and milk I had in my fridge. The recipe is adapted from a user-submitted recipe found at nigella.com, and I made several modifications like adding more cheese and using mixture of unsalted and salted butter. And couldn't find fresh dill at the supermarket so I used bottled dill weed. For cheese, the recipe stated cheddar but I just used what I bought previously, those ready grated cheese meant for pizza and I think it turned out fine :p
Cheese & Dill Muffin
(Makes 16 regular size muffins)
- 256g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 280g Greek yogurt
- 35g salted butter, melted
- 10g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg (about 60g with shell)
- 120g fresh milk
- 100g grated cheese
- 2 tsp dill weed
- Preheat oven to 200 degree celsius.
- Sift flour with salt and baking powder, then stir in the sugar and dill. Set aside.
- Combine egg, yogurt, milk and melted butter.
- Gently mix the wet ingredients and dry ingredients, and fold gently until just combined. Fold in grated cheese. Do not over-stir or the muffin will turn out tough.
- Fill the muffin cups with the batter to 3/4 full.
- Bake at 200 degree celsius for 20 mins.
- Best serve warm.
- I replaced plain yogurt with Greek yogurt.
- As I have some salted butter leftover, I used a mixture of salted and unsalted butters.
- I replaced cheddar cheese with pizza cheese (I think combination of cheddar, mozzarella and Parmesan) and increased quantity from 50g to 100g as I wanted a more cheesy taste.
- I replaced fresh dill with bottled dill weed. If using fresh fill, quantity is 1/4 cup.
- If eaten the next day, heat up in microwave oven first.
I found another carrot, zucchini and dill muffin recipe and have added it to my to-bake list. Hope I will pick up my baking and blogging mojo soon.