14 February 2017

Rose-flavour Swiss Roll

Happy Valentine's Day!

After baking the Bandung Cupcakes with Rose Buttercream yesterday, I wasn't very satisfied with the overall taste and texture. My hb and kiddo had the same thoughts. Well, I guess my family still prefers more tender and moist cakes like Strawberry Shortcakes :p

Well, I'm not really prepared to bake any of my signature rainbow or ombre cakes today so decided to make swiss roll instead. Since I'm so into rose syrup, decided to add it to my usual Japanese-style genoise sponge. I don't know why but my preferred sponge cake is always the genoise sponge; somehow it turns out very well and I'm very comfortable using it for my layer cakes or in this case, swiss roll.


Adding rose syrup to the sponge cake creates a lovely pink hue which I adore :) Tender and moist cakes like swiss rolls are best paired with whipped cream or chantilly cream. I also added rose syrup to the chantilly cream and to further enhance the sweet look of the swiss roll, I used only strawberries (even though I bought kiwi and peach as well).


And finally adding some heart-shaped strawberries as decor, this swiss roll certainly looks too cute to eat!


Rose-flavour Swiss Roll
(makes one 10" x 12" swiss roll)

Ingredients

Rose-flavour genoise sponge cake
  • 70g top or cake flour (I use Nissen Violet flour)
  • 25g unsalted butter (use butter in lighter shades, avoid yellowish ones, I use President or Elle & Vire)
  • 75g caster sugar (I use Japanese Jyohakuto sugar which is more moist and finer)
  • 140g eggs (about 3 small)
  • 1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp fresh milk
  • 1 tbsp + 1 tsp rose syrup
  1. Preheat oven at 180 degree celsius, top and bottom heat (conventional). Line a 10" x 12" baking tray with baking parchment. Set aside.
  2. Sift flour 2 times. Set aside.
  3. Melt unsalted butter in a small pot set in simmering water (bain marie). Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
  4. Add sugar and eggs into a large mixing bowl, whisk lightly and place bowl in simmering water (bain marie). Whisk using sugar has melted and the mixture is hot to touch.
  5. Remove bowl from hot water, transfer to eletric mixer and beat the mixture at high speed until slightly thicker than ribbon stage (batter flows slowly and rest on top).
  6. Turn the speed to lowest and add milk to the batter, mix for 30 seconds.
  7. Add rose syrup to the batter, mix for 30 seconds.
  8. Add the flour in 2 additions, each time mixing for 15 seconds.
  9. Take out a scoop of batter, add it to the bowl of melted butter, mix until blended. Pour this butter mixture into the batter bowl. FOLD the batter gently until just incorporated.
  10. Pour batter into centre of lined baking tray, spread the batter using a scrapper to make sure it's even.
  11. Knock the tray a few times on kitchen counter and bake for 12 mins at 180 degree celsius.
  12. Remove tray from oven and let it cool for 5 mins.
  13. Remove cake from tray, place on wire rack. Place another wire rack on top of the cake, then turn the cake over to remove parchment paper. Turn the cake over again, cover with the paper and let it cool down completely before frosting.

Rose-flavour chantilly cream
  • 300g whipping cream
  • 100g mascarpone cheese
  • 1 tbsp rose syrup
  1. Whip cream and mascarpone cheese in an electric mixer till stiff peak.
  2. Add rose syrup and mix till well-incorporated.
 Assembly
  • Place the sponge cake on a large piece of parchment paper.
  • Using a sharp serrated knife, trim a bevelled edge of 45 degree at one of the 12" sides of the sponge cake.
  • Spread the chantilly cream onto the sponge cake, leaving 1-2cm gaps from the edges of the longer sides.
  • Place whole strawberries at about 1/3 width of the sponge cake (from the non-bevelled side).
  • Holding the parchment paper, roll the sponge cake to the direction away. Use a ruler or long knife to help tighten the roll at the end by tucking the ruler and parchment paper inwards.
  • Place the bevelled edge downwards and chill the roll in the fridge for at least 1hr.
  • Trim both ends of the swiss roll thinly using a hot serrated knife (dip and dry using hot water for neater cut).
  • Decorate as desired and serve immediately or slightly chilled. Cake cannot stay in room temperature for more than 20-30 mins, must be stored in fridge.
*I realised that I forgot to brush some syrup on the sponge before spreading the cream but it seems to be ok this time. Syrup - Mix 3 tbsp water with 1-2 tsp rose syrup.
*This cake is best served slightly chilled. If chilled overnight, thaw for about 10 mins before eating to enjoy the soft and light texture of the cake. If eating directly from fridge, the cake texture will be slightly harder. 


Didn't manage to take work-in-progress photos except for one, because I still had to prepare dinner and thus rushing through).

Actually the cake wasn't perfect, some parts of it cracked a bit when I was rolling :( But the beauty of roll cake, I can try to hide the cracked parts at the bottom :p


Anyways, I love this swiss roll! Texture-wise, definitely what my family likes, very tender and moist. Taste-wise it has a subtle hint of rose-syrup and not too sweet. The hb and kiddo approve!


This recipe is a keeper for me, but I gonna practise the rolling part more to prevent cracks next time :)

Overall, very pleased with how the cake turns out. This swiss roll certainly makes it a more lovely and romantic Valentine's Day :)

2 comments: