Sasha's Fine Food is an online F&B company that sourced ethically produced goods with preference to free-range, organic and/or fair trade food and drinks, and at the same time avoiding foods with unacceptable or unhealthy addictive. There's a wide variety of produce available in the webstore, from meat and fish to dry goods and groceries, dairy to beverages.
Will be presenting a variety of dishes over the next few weeks using these lovely produce :)
First up, will be using the local whole chicken to prepare two dishes. I'm very particular about raw chicken, and would only buy hormones and antibiotics free raw chicken from trusted sources. Very glad to know that their chicken (free-roaming) is sourced from Southern Malaysia, raised in natural, clean and healthy environment with no growth hormones or antibiotics used.
My family is small, only 2 adults and 1 kiddo so usually I don't cook a whole chicken since we can't finish it in a meal. Separated and cooked the chicken over 2 meals instead, first meal using the wings, drumsticks and thigh, and second using the chicken breasts.The carcass is used to make chicken stock #nowaste
So using the chicken dark meat, I cooked this really simple casserole oven roasted chicken which I saw in an old Donna Hay magazine few years ago. The chicken parts are marinated in olive oil, honey, wholegrain mustard, salt and pepper for an hour, add rosemary, onion and garlic, roast in oven for 15 mins on one side, add asparagus and cherry tomatoes, turn the chicken over and roast for another 10 mins.
And in a bid to make my hb and kiddo eat healthier and more vegetables, I served the chicken with creamy mashed cauliflower instead of potato ;p
Honey mustard rosemary roasted chicken
- 2 chicken thigh
- 2 chicken drumstick
- 2 chicken wings
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 sprig rosemary
- 1/4 red onion, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, leave skin intact and smash
- 9-10 cherry tomato
- A bunch of asparagus
- Marinate chicken with honey, wholegrain mustard, olive oil, salt and black pepper for an hour.
- Preheat oven using roast/grill mode at 200 degree celsius.
- Place the marinated chicken, rosemary, smashed garlic and onion wedges into a casserole dish.
- Roast at 200 degree celsius for 15 mins on one side.
- Turn the chicken over. Add asparagus and cherry tomatoes.
- Roast for another 10 mins and ready to serve.
Creamy mashed potato
- 300g cauliflower, cut into florets
- 10g butter
- 20g cooking cream
- 20g fresh milk
- 15g grated parmesan
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Thyme (optional)
- Steam the cauliflower for 10-15 mins until fork tender. Remove from heat and cool for 5 mins.
- Add the steamed cauliflower florets into a food processor/chopper, add butter, cooking cream, fresh milk, parmesan and blended till creamy.
- Add salt, pepper to taste, sprinkle with some thyme for additional aroma.
I must say that the texture of the chicken is really good and succulent, very much like the kampung chicken that I always buy. The marinate of dijon mustard and honey complements the chicken well, the roasting method retains the natural juices of the chicken well, and the rosemary adds such a nice aroma to the dish . The creamy mashed potato is also well-received by the hb and kiddo (told a white lie that it's potato and only told them it's cauliflower after the meal :p), although they did suspect it's not potato but since it's yummy they ate up everything.
Simply love how simple and effortless it takes to prepare this roast chicken, perfect for days when I'm pressed for time. I can marinate the chicken in advance and roast it just before mealtime. Definitely gonna make this dish during my busy days!
Once again, thank you to Sasha's Fine Food and stay tuned for the next dish using chicken breast meat!