When I'm busy or lazy, I turn to pre-mix pastes for quick-fix meals. There are several brands and varieties available in supermarkets, like Prima Taste and Asian Home Gourmet (I think all the brands are about the same). One of my favourite is Thai Pineapple Rice. Taste a tad different from the authentic ones served at Thai restaurants, but it's equally yummy. I love the exotic mix of tumeric, herbs and spices and enhanced by tangy, sweet and juicy pineapple. It's almost an effortless meal that achieves rather satisfactory result.
The pre-mix pastes come with suggested recipe. I usually adapt based on what's available in the fridge.
Thai Pineapple Rice (each packet serves 4)
- 1 packet Thai Pineapple Rice SpicePaste
- 1-2 tsp vegetable oil
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced (optional)
- 250g chicken (can be replaced with prawn, crabmeat or omit altogether)
- 600g (3 cups) cooked rice
- 1 tin (454g) pineapple, drain away juice and cut into bite-size pieces
- 100g frozen mixed vegetables, thaw before use
- Raisins, cashew nuts, chopped coriander as garnish (optional)
2) Add rice, spice paste and stir fry for 2 minutes.
3) Add mixed vegetable. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes until thoroughly cooked and mixed.
4) Garnish and serve hot.