30 August 2010

Chinese-style Savoury Bread & Pudding

Bought a new cook book 小小米桶的零油煙廚房:82道美味料理精彩上桌 recently and already eye-balled several recipes to try! I love the cook book as it is very well-presented with clear instructions and tantalising photo illustrations and most importantly, easy to cook =D

The very first recipe I attempted was this Chinese-style Savoury Bread and Pudding as I have all the ingredients and it makes a quick and easy lunch - just assemble, bake and serve!

Ingredients (for 4 pax, I adjusted the recipe accordingly for 1 pax)
  • 2 slices of white bread (I use wholemeal)
  • 4 slices of ham
  • 50gm shredded cheese (I use mozzarella)
  • Butter (Just a little for brushing baking dish. Actually I did not do it)
  • Dried pasley flakes
  • 2 eggs
  • 180ml fresh milk
  • Salt
  • Freshly cracked black pepper
  • Optional: tomato, onion, sweet corn kernels, cooked shrimps/crab meat etc.
  • 4 baking dish
Steps
  1. Pre-heat oven set to 170 degree celsius.
  2. Cut the bread into 9 small pieces and ham (and any additional ingredients) into small pieces.
  3. Mix the eggs, fresh milk, salt and black pepper well, sieve and set aside.
  4. Butter the baking dish thoroughly; arrange bread, ham, shredded cheese (and any additional ingredients into the baking dish.
  5. Pour the egg mixture from (2) into the baking dish. Top with more shredded cheese.
  6. Bake at 170 degree celsius for 15 to 20 mins (until cheese turns golden brown).
  7. Garnish with some pasley flakes and ready to serve.

Looks appetising? I couldn't wait to dig in!
I baked the dish for only 15 mins and realised that the egg mixture was not set properly yet. So sent the dish into the oven for another 10 mins till the shredded cheese became golden brown.

This time it was much better. I love the combination of soft bread, crunchy corn kernels, custardy egg & milk, savoury ham and best of all, sticky gooey cheese. Yums!!

Since this recipe is so versatile and easy, I could whip it up anytime, especially when there is leftover bread and other ingredients. I think kids will love it too. Give it a try =D

No comments:

Post a Comment