29 March 2011

Salmon Fried Rice

Just a quick post here since I've been soooo slacked this March (for good excuses reasons which I would ramble share soon).

Dear son is getting sick of eating porridge and more keen in rice these days. Usually I would prepare some soup with rice for him but today decided to try something new - Salmon Fried Rice. I love fried rice for its versatility and simplicity, could be whipped up with any ingredients found in the fridge/pantry. I used fresh salmon, summer squash, tomato and broccoli and viola, an easy and balanced one dish meal for him.

Initially I was worried that he might not like it since he prefers to have rice with soup, but surprisingly he took to it quite well. I tasted it and loved it too. The portion was about 3/4 bowl and he finished more than 1/2 bowl (which was considered quite good since he usually eats 3/4 bowl of porridge and rice is more filling). All that was left was this spoonful. No time to take a shot after cooking since I had a hungry toddler waiting for his food impatiently. Next time, I could fry more for myself too.


Salmon Fried Rice (suitable for toddler 14 months above)
  • Mixture of white and brown rice (overnight or freshly cooked doesn't matter)
  • Fresh salmon
  • Broccoli, diced (I use only the florets)
  • Summer squash, diced (I use the yellow pattypan)
  • Tomato, diced
  • Olive oil
  • Seasonings like soy sauce (optional)
  1. Pan-fry the salmon with some olive oil till cooked and slightly browned, then break into flakes. (I don't use the skin and browned surface as they are a bit tough for toddlers to chew)
  2. Heat the frying pan with some olive oil, add the diced broccoli, tomato and summer squash. Stir-fry till soft, then add the rice. Next, add the salmon flakes.
  3. Stir-fry till all ingredients well-mixed and add seasonings if necessary. *Salmon is already quite sweet and strong tasting so may not be necessary to add seasonings.
  4. Serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. Fried rice is the universal Chinese food! I am not surprised that your son likes this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shirley,
    Not just my son, I myself love fried rice, especially fried with luncheon meat :p

    ReplyDelete