The dish seemed very easy to cook with light flavouring and supposedly nutritious as well due to the medicinal property of cordyceps flower. When the chefs introduced this ingredient, I was very intrigued and made a mental note to look for it when I pass by any chinese medicinal hall.
Initially I had no idea what Cordyceps Flower 虫草花 is. I thought it's related to Cordyceps Sinensis 冬虫草, which is high in medicinal value but rare and expensive. After a search on the net, found out that it's actual name is Cordyceps Militaris 冬虫草花. It's a cultured mushroom fungus with similar medicinal value as cordyceps Sinensis. It's rich in protein, zinc, vitamins A & E and helps protect and strengthen the lungs, kidney and liver. Interesting indeed! I thought that this could only be found at big chinese medicinal hall; but the other day when I saw a small neighbourhood medicinal hall, decided to try my luck and yes they have it! Cost $6.80 for a tub (about 38g).
Steamed Chicken with Cordyceps Flower
- 1/2 chicken (I use kampung chicken)
- 5g salt
- 10g cordyceps flower
- 4-5 pieces red dates
- Corn starch
- Green leafy vegetable
- Marinate the chicken with salt for 15-20 mins.
- Soak cordyceps flower in hot water for 15-20 mins (to reduce the red colouring), then drain the water.
- Soak the red dates for 15-20 mins then slice.
- Place the chicken in a steaming dish, scatter the cordyceps flower and sliced red dates on top and around. Steam the chicken for 25-30 mins (original time stated in recipe is 15 mins, but I find many parts of the chicken not cooked so I increased the timing).
- After steaming the chicken, pour the chicken stock (juice from steaming) into another pot, heat and add some cornstarch to make into a slightly thickened gravy.
- Blanch some green leafy vegetable (water added with some oil and salt).
- Debone the chicken and arrange on serving plate. Scatter cordyceps flower and sliced red dates on the chicken, arrange the blanched vegetables around, and pour gravy all around. Best served warm.
(source: no. 834 i-weekly supplement)
- 鸡 (半只, 约700克)
- 虫草花 (10克)
- 红枣 (4颗)
- 小白菜 (50克)
- 盐 (5克)
- 生粉 (5克)
- 将鸡只放入蒸盘中, 铺上虫草花和切片红枣, 放入蒸锅蒸 15 分钟.
- 取出蒸好的鸡只, 去骨取肉再切块, 与虫草花, 红枣和汆烫熟的小白菜一起摆盘.
- 用热水烫虫草花 , 降低色素.