When I was searching the internet for various Middle Eastern recipes for AFF West Asia this month, I realised that gathering of ingredients was harder than I thought. Till now, I haven't managed to find sumac, a key ingredient in Middle Eastern cuisine, therefore had to shelf the idea of making the Fattoush Salad.
For this particular salad, I had problem finding chickpeas initially but of all places, I saw it sold at a pasar malam near my place yesterday night. Haha, bingo! The rest of the ingredients like spinach, red onion, walnut, pomegranate, feta cheese and pomegranate molasses were no problem. Simply toss everything together and serve. I added some pistachio and coriander as well.
The salad was surprisingly refreshing creating an explosion of different flavours and texture in my mouth. It looked so christmassy too, could do as a party dish during the year-end festive celebrations.
Spinach Salad with Pomegranate and Chickpeas
(recipe adapted from mideastfood.about.com)Ingredients
- 1/2 box (50-60g) baby spinach
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup mixture of walnut and pistachio, chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 70g cooked chickpeas
- 10 cubes feta cheese
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- Garnish - 1 stalk coriander finely minced, 5 cubes feta cheese crumbled
- Place baby spinach, diced onion, chopped walnut and pistachio, pomegranate and chickpeas into a large bowl. Crumble the feta cheese and add into the mixture.
- Add 1 tbsp of pomegranate molasses into the salad and toss gently.
- Place salad in a plate or bowl, garnish with finely minced coriander and sprinkle crumbled feta cheese all around.
I am submitting this to the "Baby Sumo's Christmas Recipes Collection 2013" event which is hosted by Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out.