I remembered ordering something like African chicken or Portuguese chicken when I went to Macau many years back with hubby but totally couldn't recall the taste at all. Anyways, the ingredients are an interesting mix of both chinese and western styles such as five spice powder, coconut, peanut, rosemary, ketchup, parika?? Kind of curious how it would turn out.
Instead of using oven to bake the chicken, I decided to use my Happy Call pan, everything cooked using one pan, easier to wash and clean up since cooking only one chicken thigh mah :p
Macau African Chicken 非洲鸡
(adapted from Table for 2...or more)
- 1 chicken thigh
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into wedges (side dish)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp five spice powder
- 2 shallots, finely minced
- 1 garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash of black pepper
- 1 sprig rosemary, finely minced
- 4 shallots
- 2 garlic
- 2 chilli padi
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 pc chicken bouillon
- 1cup water
- Marinate chicken thigh for at least 1 hr.
- Blend shallots, garlic and chilli into a coarse paste (I use electric blender).
- Heat Happy Call pan on medium low heat, toast grated coconut until fragrant and very slightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Wipe pan clean and put in about 2 Tbsp of oil. Fry the potatoes until lightly golden and set aside.
- Using the same oil, put in the chicken thigh, fry till brown, no need to cook through. Remove and set aside.
- Using the same oil, cook the paste (from step 2) on medium low heat until it turns glossy and fragrant.
- Add the remaining gravy ingredients. Let the ingredients come to a boil then lower heat to simmer for 2 mins.
- Add the chicken thigh and cover the Happy Call pan. Cook on low heat for about 7 mins then flip over the pan. Cook on low heat for about 7 mins. Watch closely and avoid the thigh from getting burnt, adjust heat and cooking time accordingly.
- Flip pan over, push the thigh and gravy to one side, add the potato (from step 4) and cook on low heat for about 2 mins.
- Remove chicken thigh and potato, place on serving plate, spoon gravy over thigh and serve warm.