Subsequently, more Korean restaurants started to open shop in Singapore, but our exposure remained minimal. I guess because hubby used to hate kimchi. I'm ok with kimchi but more keen in the various banchan side dishes. Once in a while, we would go for Korean BBQ where hubby enjoyed the grilled meats whereas I the banchan.
Somehow during the past two years, hubby started to show more interest in Korean cuisine (influence of Korean drama?) and even started to like kimchi. O.O Nowadays, we dine at Korean restaurants occasionally and hubby is the one who orders the kimchi soup or stew.
So when I told him that this month's AFF theme is Korean, his very first order was Kimchi Stew. This is the first time he actually showed interest in what I cook for AFF :p
www.maangchi.com to be very comprehensive, quick and simple. Very surprised that Kimchi soup or stew is so easy to prepare at home, almost effortless!
Basically just cut up and mix everything together and cook on stove. That's all!
Kimchi Stew (Kimchi-jjigae 김치찌개)
- 250g kimchi, chopped (the pack I bought is already pre-chopped)
- 200g pork belly, sliced thinly
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp hot pepper paste
- 1 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Water (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 pc tofu (I bought firm silken tofu from wet market)
- Sesame oil
- 1 stalk spring onion
- In a pot, put some chopped kimchi and juice.
- Add pork belly, sliced onion, hot pepper paste, hot pepper flakes and sugar.
- Pour water over the ingredients until all the ingredients are submerged.
- Close the lid of the pot and boil for 10 minutes on high heat.
- After 10 minutes, reduce to medium heat and cook for another 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add some tofu and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add splash of sesame oil and spring onion. Serve hot.