Sandwich Wreath

I've been exploring different methods of baking bread and have attempted straight-dough, tangzhong, Yudane and old dough methods so far. Not sure why but I have no luck with straight-dough method, usually the breads turn out not as fluffy as I desired. Still prefer the tangzhong or old dough methods which yield soft fluffy breads with rich aroma and remain nice the next day.

Recently, I bought a newly launched pull-apart bread book (from Taiwan) and attempted another sponge-dough method of baking bread which yields equally soft and fluffy breads. Actually I have read about sponge-dough method before; it's more tedious than any other methods by dividing flour and water into a large and small proportion and pre-fermenting the larger proportion for a longer period of time before making the dough proper. The proportion of flour and water is about 70-30%. The 70% of flour/water is first kneaded into dough, proof for 30 mins and then transferred to the fridge for low temperature fermentation/proofing overnight. Next day, just combine the pre-ferment dough with the remaining 30% flour/water and other ingredients to start the process of kneading, proofing, shaping, proofing and baking.


I guess each method of bread making has its own pros and cons and most importantly, find a suitable method which fits the particular needs each time I want to bake. Since I still haven't find a straight-dough method to my liking and I wouldn't even think of chemicals like bread improver what-not, I have to stick to these few methods of baking for now.

Yudane and sponge-dough require advance planning; old dough require a one-time effort and ready to bake anytime; tangzhong would be the one which doesn't require planning and can get started fairly quickly.


Anyways, I love the presentation of this sandwich ring or sandwich wreath, it's pretty to look at and convenient to eat since it's a pull-apart bread.


After baking the bread ring, just slice each bun in the middle and insert ingredients desired. This time I'm using ham, cheese, lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomato and some mayonnaise as well.


Sandwich Wreath
(makes 8 pull-apart buns, using 21cm mould)

Ingredients

Sponge-dough
  • 155g bread flour
  • 110g water
  • 1/4 tsp instant yeast
Steps
  1. Combine all 3 ingredients in a mixing bowl, beat at medium speed using dough hook, and knead until dough is smooth and leaves bottom of bowl.
  2. Round the dough, place it back to the bowl, cover bowl with clingwrap and proof for 30 mins.
  3. Thereafter, clingwrap the dough and place in fridge for proofing overnight.
Main dough
  • 1 portion of sponge dough, thaw to room temperature
  • 65g bread flour
  • 45g water
  • 1/2 tsp yeast
  • 18g caster sugar
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 3g salt
  • 18g unsalted butter, slightly softened
Steps
  1. Grease a 21-cm ring mould and set aside.
  2. Place flour, water, yeast, sugar, honey and salt into mixing bowl. Tear sponge-dough into small pieces and add in. Knead the ingredients at medium speed using dough hook, until gluten is formed.
  3. Add butter piece by piece into the dough. Knead at medium high speed until dough is smooth, leaves bottom of bowl and stretches without breaking (window pane stage).
  4. Round the dough, place it back to the bowl, cover bowl with clingwrap and proof for 45-50 mins until dough doubles about 1.5 to 2 times.
  5. After first proofing, weight of dough is about 412g, divide into 8 portions about 51g each. Roughly round each dough and let rest for 10 mins (covered with clingwrap).
  6. Round each dough nicely and place them into the ring mould. Cover with clingwrap and proof for 45 mins until dough doubles about 1.5 times.
  7. Preheat oven 190 degree celsius, top and bottom heat.
  8. Place ring mould into oven and bake at 190 degree celsius for 15 to 20 mins.
  9. Remove bread from mould, let bread cool completely on rack before serving.
  10. Slice middle of each bun and insert desired ingredients like ham, cheese, vegetables. Or eat the bread on its own.


I think next time I can try another dough method to compare results.

And use other ingredients for the buns like cream cheese, egg mayo, tuna mayo or even fruits like banana and strawberry.


Pleased with my new-found way of serving lunch to my kiddo!

0 comments:

Post a Comment