21 June 2017

Honey Ginger Lime Granita

The weather continues to be unbearable hot and I find myself craving for icy cold desserts all the time!

This icy treat is actually inspired by a ginger lime granita welcome dessert served to guests at my favourite hotel in Melaka. It usually takes about 3 plus hours including traffic jam into Melaka old town area and by the time we finally reach the hotel, I would be feeling nausea and uncomfortable, so I really look forward to enjoying it every time!

The ginger always soothes my queasiness and discomfort and the tangy lime is totally refreshing. Therefore I would miss this granita from time to time (and it's also one of the reasons why I always choose to stay in that particular hotel :p)


It never dawn on me that I could actually make this icy dessert easily at home until recently. Silly me!

Instead of using sugar to make the granita, I used Huiji Honey which is made of  pure natural raw honey and is more nutritious and healthier form of sweetener.


Initially I was thinking of making a sorbet, but granita is more fuss-free, with minimum equipment needed. Moreover, I love eating crush ice, more than the smoother texture of sorbet :p


Ingredients are really simple, ginger, water, honey and large lime.
Simply boil sliced ginger in water, let the ginger water cool down before adding honey and lime juice to taste. I also added some lime zest to enhance the fragrance of the granita.

Then pour the mixture into a shallow tray and place the tray into the freezer for 30 mins. After 30 mins, remove tray from freezer; part of the mixture would be slightly frozen, use a fork to rake the ice. Place tray back to freezer and wait for another 30 mins, repeat the same steps. Do this at least 3-4 times and you'll get a nice tray of granita. Yes, it's that easy. No machine or simple utensils required.


Honey Ginger Lime Granita
makes 2 trays (tray is 30cmx18cm), about 2 packed cups (500ml) of granita
  • 3 cups water
  • 50-70g ginger
1. Wash and cut ginger into thin slices and add them into a pot with water.
2. Boil for the ginger water for about 20-30 mins.
3. Let the ginger water cool down before use.
*Quantity of ginger depends on individual, whether wish to have stronger/more spicy taste of ginger.
  • 1 cup ginger water
  • 60-70g honey, to taste
  • Juice & zest of 1/2 large lime
1. Add honey, juice and zest of lime to the ginger water. Mix well.
2. Pour mixture into shallow tray and place tray into freezer for 30 mins.
3. After 30 mins, remove tray from freezer. Some parts of the mixture would be slightly frozen. Use a fork to rake all the frozen mixture.
4. Place tray back into the freezer for another 30 mins. Then repeat step 3.
5. Repeat the freeze-and-rake at least 3-4 times and granita is ready.

I love how the granita turns out! The mellow sweetness of the honey will hit you first, follow immediately by the tangy lime and finally the spicy ginger which will linger in the mouth for a while.

What a cool treat! This is especially good when I have too much food and feeling some indigestion. Or when afternoons are too hot and I need something to freshen up. I'm surprised that the HB loves it as well because he usually dislikes ginger taste.

I'm already thinking of making other flavours of granita, like honey pandan lemongrass, honey mint watermelon and more!

Give it a try and keep chilling =D

No comments:

Post a Comment