Whenever we go to Thailand or Thai Restaurants, this is one of the few items that he enjoys (he can't take much spicy stuff), probably because mango is one of his favourite fruit and the sticky rice taste sweet and fragrant. Well, this is such a likable snack/dessert, I don't think anyone will dislike it right?
Since I have extra packets of coconut milk and I happen to have glutinous rice too, all I need is mango. Found some lovely Thai Honey Mango at the fruit stall near my place, so Mango Sticky Rice it is!
This is how I steam the rice - by laying a piece of cotton cloth/muslin cloth (I use those soup filter bags) on the steamer. When the rice is steamed, it will be translucent, just hold the bag/cloth at the 4 corners and pour it into a heatproof bowl.
Mango Sticky Rice
(makes 2 servings)
- 1 cup glutinous rice (about 150g)
- 200ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 mango
- 20-30g split mung bean *optional
- Wash and rinse the glutinous rice at least 4-5 times till water runs clear.
- Soak the rice overnight. The next day, drain the water and place the rice onto a piece of muslin cloth.
- Place the muslin cloth into a steamer. Steam on medium high heat for 18-20 mins.
- Meanwhile, add coconut milk, sugar and salt into a small pot. Heat the mixture on low heat, stir and cook till the sugar is fully dissolve. Off heat and set aside.
- When the glutinous rice is ready, pour it into a heatproof bowl. Add half quantity of the coconut sauce bit by bit into the rice and mix gently till fully absorbed.
- Slice or cut the mango into desired servings.
- Dry-fry the mung beans in a frying pan till golden and crispy, or air-fry.
- To serve, place the sticky rice and mango in a serving plate, drizzle with more coconut sauce and some crispy mung beans.
*cover the sticky rice with clingwrap if not eating immediately, otherwise the rice will turn dry and harden.
The kiddo is a happy camper when I serve him this Mango Sticky Rice for lunch. Yep, who says this can't be lunch, it has rice, fruit and coconut milk, a totally nutritious meal :p
Ok, since I'm at it, might as well submit this entry for the Ayam Brand's Coconut Milk Cooking Contest hosted by Singapore Home Cooks :p
Check out my first entry here - Bake Coconut Cheese Tart