14 August 2007

Pandan Chiffon Cake

Having successful baked the Orange Chiffon Cake many times in the past few weeks, I decided it was time to attempt the Pandan Chiffon Cake.

However, the attempt was deemed a baking disaster :( The recipe (from Chef Christopher Tan's cookbook, Shiok!) calls for pandan leaves to be chopped finely to a grassy green using food processor or chopper, then squeezing the finely chopped leaves to get pandan juice.

I only have a juice extractor at home then, so I naively thought that it should work fine as well. I could even skip the step of squeezing the pandan juice using muslin cloth. Alas. That is not to be. All I can say is, I ended up with a grassy mess and not much juice extracted. My favourite table linen from Japan got stained with pandan juice accidentally and the green stain won't come off after washing -_- The packet coconut milk bought from the supermarket wasn't really fresh; and was too thick and strong.

My first Pandan Chiffon Cake turned out to be Coconut Chiffon Cake. Moreover, I wasn't exactly in a good mood when I was preparing and baking the cake. Heard from a saying somewhere that the ingredients will know it if the baker is not happy and hence the end product won't turn out well. Hmmm...
Despite the disappointing result, I decided to try again after a few days. And I bought myself a chopper and even bought fresh coconut from the wet market to get coconut milk. Really happy that my spanking new chopper is a breeze to work with and requires minimal effort to clean :D No problem to get fresh pandan juice this time round, but I confess it's still a rather messy and tedious process. Then again, I'm not going to switch to artificial pandan essence.

I'm proud to declare that my second attempt at Pandan Chiffon Cake was successful!

Tinge of pale green with faint pandan taste and fragrant coconut scent. Yummy...
Hubby is the happiest because he much prefers Pandan Cake then Orange Cake.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Meg,
    Nice one! Yes sad to say juice extractors are meant for fruits, not leaves. If you have a blender or food processor, then you can make a less tedious pandan juice by combining 250 ml water with about 30 pandan leaves that have been cut into small bits, and whizzing until you get a green liquid; strain and proceed with the recipe. The downside is that this makes much more juice than you need for 1 cake, and it's less concentrated...
    Cheers,
    Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled onto your blog and love your write up. Try Terry Tan's Pandan, it is good.

    ReplyDelete