19 October 2009

Apple Muffin

It's Monday but no work for me as it's a mandatory off in-lieu of the Deepavali holiday. For once, no Monday blues :p

Since I'm trying to use up my ingredients, I shall bake! But what? Found a bag of over-ripe apples in the fridge which I totally forgot. Apple Tart (Crostata de mele) which I baked before is not a bad idea but didn't feel like making shortcrust pastry in such a hot and humid weather. I wanted something easy and hassle-free. So searched on the internet and came across Happy Home Baker's Apple Muffins, which is just what I need!

Modified the recipe very slightly, using the available ingredients I have at home.

Ingredients:
(makes 12 muffins using tall muffin cases, or 13 using short cases)
280g cake flour (original recipe plain flour)
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon powder (Optional. I added this as I love the combination of cinnamon and apple, 1 tsp is in fact barely distinct)
50g unsalted butter, soften at room temperature
100g light brown sugar (original recipe castor sugar)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup low fat milk
1 cup red apples, peeled and cubed (about 1 - 1.5cm size)
Almond flakes as topping (Optional. I added this for a nicer finishing)
Method:

  • Preheat oven to 220 degree celsius.
  • Line muffin pans with paper cases.
  • In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder and salt, blend well.
  • Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar, still creamy.
  • Add in egg, gradually, mix well after each addition. Mix till mixture is creamy and fluffy.
  • Add vanilla extract, mix well.
  • Add flour mixture (in 3 additions) alternating with milk (in 2 additions), starting and ending with flour. Mix only until well combined. Gently fold in the chopped apples.
  • Fill muffin cases with batter till 2/3 full. Top with almond flakes.
  • Bake for 20 to 25mins, until muffins turn golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
  • Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
As I have enough ingredients, made 3 batches in total so that I can bring them to office for giveaways the next day.

The muffin tasted quite light with a nice aroma of apple. Surprisely not very sweet, was it due to light brown sugar that I used instead of castor sugar? Could still see the cubed apples though they shrunk a little. If want bigger bite, probably could cut into 2 - 2.5cm chunks. One thing though, a tad dry, probably could add more liquid, or perhaps I over-mixed the batter or the oven is too hot.

Different types of muffin cases for different look (actually it's because I have many different leftover odd cases).
Overall quite a easy recipe and totally enjoyed the process. I love the aroma that filled the whole house!

I still have a few bags of bread flour, some cream cheese, Valrhona chocolate and cocoa powder... what shall I do with them?

No comments:

Post a Comment