06 February 2011

Steamed Soy Milk Egg with Minced Pork

This is a recipe from one of my favourite local TV variety show 三菜一汤 (Three Dish One Soup) Series 3. Basically celebrities (mostly from Singapore and sometimes from Taiwan) would have a cook-off of 3 dish and one soup with a budget of S$20. What I like about the show is, the dishes are mostly simple homecook fares which are quite achievable at home.

In one of the recent episodes, this particular dish caught my attention as it's rather creative yet easy to do. Usually the i-weekly magazine would feature recipes from the teams that won, but unfortunately, this was from the team who lost. So I just watched the show on xinmsn.com a few times to 'catch' the ingredients used and preparation method. As the amount of ingredients weren't very specific in the show, I sort of 'guesstimated' and was glad that the dish turned out quite yummy :)




Ingredients (serves 2-3 pax)

Steamed Soy Bean Milk Egg
  • 210ml unsweetened soy milk (I used Sobe brand)
  • 3 eggs (I used the smaller Kampong Chicken Eggs)
  • 3/4tsp chicken stock powder
  • 1/4tsp sesame oil
  • 1tbsp light soy sauce
* The recommended proportion of egg to milk is 1 egg to 100ml soy milk. Since I use smaller eggs, I cut down the soy milk accordingly.

  1. Melt the chicken stock powder with a little water, then add sesame oil and light soy sauce.
  2. Pour in the soy milk and mix well.
  3. Add the eggs, mix well, then sieve 2 times.
  4. Pour the mixture into a steaming dish, cover tightly with clingwrap and steam for 10 mins.

Minced Pork topping
  • 230g minced pork
  • 1/2tsp sesame oil
  • 2tsp oyster sauce
  • 1/2tsp cornstarch
  • Pinch of pepper
  • 8-10pc pickled lettuce
  • 4 dried shiitake mushroom, soaked till softened then diced
  • 2tbsp wolfberries, soaked till softened
  • 1tbsp cooking oil
*I happened to buy 230g of minced pork and decided to cook all. Due to the size of my steaming dish, there were some leftovers. Can either use less pork (adjust seasonings accordingly) or use a steaming dish that has wider circumference so that all the toppings can be used.
  1. Marinate the minced pork with sesame oil, oyster sauce, corn starch and pepper for at least 5 mins.
  2. Add 1 tbsp of cooking oil to the frying pan, once oil is hot, fry the minced pork till fragrant.
  3. Then add the pickled lettuce, mushroom and wolfberries and fry for at least 10 mins.
  4. Add some water (I use water used to soak wolfberries), let simmer for a couple of mins then add some corn starch water.
  5. Once ready, add the minced pork topping to the steamed soy milk egg. Garnish with spring onions or chinese pasley and serve hot.

I really liked the silken smooth steamed soy milk egg, probably coz I sieved the mixture 2 times. There's a slight tinge of soy bean milk taste but hubby claimed that he couldn't taste any. I could probably try varying the proportion of soy bean milk to egg and see if the soy bean milk taste could be enhanced.

As for the minced pork topping, it really goes very well with the steamed egg! I love the different textures - tender chewy minced pork, crunchy pickled lettuce, fragrant mushroom and sweet wolfberries. This recipe is definitely a keeper for my family =D

1 comment:

  1. This is a lovely dish you have here and pretty healthy! They soy is a nice alternative there.

    ReplyDelete