04 July 2014

Chicken Adobo - AFF Philippines Jul 2014

For the month of July, Asian Food Fest (AFF) has moved on to Philippines. Although there are quite a number of Filipino migrants in SG now working in different fields such as healthcare, F&B, retail, IT, banking and domestic helpers etc etc, I hardly know any folks close enough to try the cuisine; moreover I grew up without domestic helper and didn't engage one now either.

So I'm totally unfamiliar with Filipino cuisine! Could only rely on internet resources for introductions and recipes. After reading through the introduction by Swee San (The Sweet Spot) who is the host for this month's AFF, I decided to try one of the easiest recipe, Chicken Adobo, supposedly a very traditional Filipino dish. 

Ingredients are really simple with chicken, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaves, sugar, peppercorn and vinegar. Steps are quick and easy as well and I found some resemblance to chinese and western cuisine, sort of like a fusion. The addition of vinegar towards the end is a surprise but it is this touch of vinegar that makes this dish so unique and addictive. I added a bit of dark soy sauce for some colour when I realised the original somehow looked much darker.


Chicken Adobo
(serves 2-3 pax, recipe adapted from Panlasang Pinoy)

Ingredients
  • 3 chicken thigh (about 700g), chop into small pieces
  • 4 tbsp soy sauce
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 3 tbsp cooking oil
  • 1.5 cups water
  • 3 pcs bay leaves
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp white peppercorn
  • 1/2 tsp black peppercorn
  • 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp vinegar
Steps
  1. Marinate chicken with soy sauce and crushed garlic for at least 3hrs or overnight. Before cooking, take out the chicken from chiller for about 30 mins.
  2. In a pot, heat up the cooking oil on medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and fry all sides till they are slightly browned.
  3. Add the remaining marinate sauce and water into the pot and bring the mixture to boil.
  4. Add bay leaves, sugar, peppercorn and dark soy sauce. Turn heat to medium low and simmer for 20-30 mins.
  5. Add vinegar and cook for another 5-10 mins, stirring occasionally.
  6. Add salt to taste (I didn't) and off heat.
  7. Best serve hot with rice.

I really enjoyed this dish, especially the sauce which is savory with nuances of vinegar. Couldn't help eating more rice because of the sauce! Even the kiddo likes the sauce and asked for more in his rice. This recipe is a keeper and I'll definitely cook it again from time to time.

I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest – Philippines hosted by The Sweet Spot.

9 comments:

  1. Looks good, will give this a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dish and apparently there are many ways of cooking it. great with a bowl of rice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done a chicken adobo too but the cooking method is slightly different! The vinegar is added at the start of the stewing rather than at the end :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dish and recently I tasted another version. Will try to cook it soon. Yours look good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jeannie, it's quick and easy and the sauce really whets appetite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Edith, yes I saw several versions on the internet, maybe next time will try other versions to compare :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Veronica,
    Maybe next time I try adding vinegar first :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks good, vinegar is very much used in filipino cooking..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Swee San,
    I see. The addition of vinegar makes the sauce so appetising :)

    ReplyDelete