This tuna salad was inspired by the Kiymali Pide (Turkish ground beef pita) which I tried for AFF West Asia back in Dec. Basically I took most of the ingredients and seasonings (except beef and egg) and added them into a can of tuna.
Wholemeal Pita Bread with Turkish-inspired Tuna Salad Filling
(makes 4 small pita sandwich)
- 1 can of tuna (in water), drain and remove as much water as possible
- 1 tomato, seeds removed, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 stalks of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Pinch of sea salt, more to taste
- Juice from half a lemon, more to taste
- Dash of black pepper, more to taste
- 4 leaves of romaine lettuce
- 2 pita bread, cut into halves to get 4 pita pockets
- Combine tuna, tomato, red onion and parsley, add paprika, sea salt, lemon juice and black pepper. Toss well to combine. Adjust seasonings according to taste.
- Lightly toast each pita pocket. Open up pita pocket, stuff a leave of romaine lettuce inside the pocket, followed by tuna salad filling.
- Serve with more greens on the side or on its own.