I've been making many strawberry desserts recently as I have lots of strawberries left over from making a Strawberry Jelly Heart cake for a gathering. Usually I just buy one big punnet and it would be enough for the cake, but Cold Storage had this promotion of $9.90 for two punnets (usual price $5.90 per punnet), so I thought no harm buying two punnets. Well, I ended up with so many extras that I don't know what to do with them! There is only this much strawberry one can eat. I added diced strawberries to my son's yogurt till he's sick of them, and he won't eat them whole as the strawberries were a little too tangy for his liking. So I started searching for recipes online and attempted a few of them, just to use up the strawberries.
First up, Strawberry Muffins from Noob Cook. A very simple recipe that doesn't require mixer and easily done within 30 mins. I made only 1/3 of the recipe as I just want to make a small batch (my freezer is already filled with a number of baked goods), I also reduced the sugar by a third.
The result? The muffin was tender and moist when warm, and I love how the tangy strawberry bits balanced the sweetness of the muffin. My son liked it so much, he wanted a second one! Now I know what to do with left over strawberries in future :)
(Makes 9 x 5cm muffin cases)
- 125g plain flour
- 1/3 tbsp baking powder
- 100g caster sugar
- 83g fresh milk, room temperature
- 42g unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 6-7 strawberries, diced
- Sift flour and baking powder together. Add sugar and mix until well incorporated.
- Mix milk, melted butter, egg and vanilla extract and stir well.
- Add the wet ingredients (2) to the dry ingredients (1) and fold gently till just incorporated. Do not over mix as it will result in a tough texture.
- Fold the diced strawberries into the mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cases (each about 2/3 filled).
- Bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven of 200C (400F) or until slightly golden brown. Allow to rest for several minutes before serving.