08 October 2011

Strawberry Muffin

I've been making many strawberry desserts recently as I have lots of strawberries left over from making a Strawberry Jelly Heart cake for a gathering. Usually I just buy one big punnet and it would be enough for the cake, but Cold Storage had this promotion of $9.90 for two punnets (usual price $5.90 per punnet), so I thought no harm buying two punnets. Well, I ended up with so many extras that I don't know what to do with them! There is only this much strawberry one can eat. I added diced strawberries to my son's yogurt till he's sick of them, and he won't eat them whole as the strawberries were a little too tangy for his liking. So I started searching for recipes online and attempted a few of them, just to use up the strawberries.

First up, Strawberry Muffins from Noob Cook. A very simple recipe that doesn't require mixer and easily done within 30 mins. I made only 1/3 of the recipe as I just want to make a small batch (my freezer is already filled with a number of baked goods), I also reduced the sugar by a third.

The result? The muffin was tender and moist when warm, and I love how the tangy strawberry bits balanced the sweetness of the muffin. My son liked it so much, he wanted a second one! Now I know what to do with left over strawberries in future :)


Strawberry Muffin
(Makes 9 x 5cm muffin cases)

Ingredients
  • 125g plain flour
  • 1/3 tbsp baking powder
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 83g fresh milk, room temperature
  • 42g unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 6-7 strawberries, diced
Method
  1. Sift flour and baking powder together. Add sugar and mix until well incorporated.
  2. Mix milk, melted butter, egg and vanilla extract and stir well.
  3. Add the wet ingredients (2) to the dry ingredients (1) and fold gently till just incorporated. Do not over mix as it will result in a tough texture.
  4. Fold the diced strawberries into the mixture.
  5. Spoon the batter into the muffin cases (each about 2/3 filled).
  6. Bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven of 200C (400F) or until slightly golden brown. Allow to rest for several minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment